• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

MacRobertson Air Race Line up

How can he screw it up at this stage?
Trying to fix something.

I noticed that I had the props wrong on the Red one. This are the props that I build years ago when I first built the Comet. I had the prop angle like they were counter rotating. No the airscrew was clockwise on both sides. I thought some debonder would let me fix that. so I soaked the part in some, tried to remove the prop from the hub and snap...the prop broke at the hub.
Then I realized the real screw up. I just broke the correct prop. Hells bells. Go for broke and break them all off and be done with it.

I drilled out a really small hole on the prop shaft and the hub, used some .1mm nickel rod to secure and got it glued back together. Already painted up.

1715825731830.png

2 steps back and 1 step forward is still progress. I haven't assembled the other props yet. That should be no problem if I'm consistent.

Very productive day with the boys from Greenwood.

I got the rigging done on the QED, the tail skid broke again and I need to figure out how to make it more stout.

1716080390689.png

Fist full of props.

And put that all together?
1716080504648.png

I'm pretty close to calling it done!

1716080547220.png

I'm pretty happy with how QED turned out. I did a pin wash of Paynes Grey in the panel lines and it really looks good. I need to clear coat again and seal all this up. After fixing the tail skid..
1716080625071.png

Used EZ Line for the rigging and I'm glad I did, I've snagged those lines 3 or 4 times now moving this thing around and they snap right back into place. I need more light where I'm taking photos.

1716080823849.png

G House had a bit of a mishap. I saw a spot on the wing tip, thought it was paint splatter, I tried to remove it then I realized it was probably some thinner splash that burned a hole in the red. My first fix of it turned out pretty bad, I got confused what red I used, Humbrols or Tamiya. I was wrong. Stark difference in the reds. I sanded down and got back to some of the original red. I need to let it rest a bit before trying to blend in the fix again.

1716080891890.png

Black Magic is looking good IMHO, Need some more gloss coats and I'm debating what to wash the panel lines with, suggestions?

1716080954597.png

I'm pretty happy with the Green one also but I don't want to do the oil based panel line wash because I was using mineral sprits on QED, that's a tamiya acrylic color so it didn't touch it. This being Humbrol's BRG I know it will eat right into it. I don't have an acrylic Paynes Grey so I'm unsure what to use here either.

How about some fun, our ol' pal Matrixone us to do these forced perspective shots and since I don't have any 1:72 vehicles I figure give it a shot.
1716081127413.png

He was obviously a better photographer.

:dude:

This is not finished but I may take a break to knock out the ME262.

Last edited:
Back