• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Free Contact Magazine from The Great War Aviation Society

Winged Victory is in my audio library. I think it was in that book he talks about literally watching in flight shells arc over there aircraft while flying over the lines.

Thanks Saul, will check this out.

Last edited:
Thats where foo fighters come from but in the next war. :) I think it was Pierre Clostermann who said in his book about heavy artillery shells overtaking his 'Tempest in slow motion while crossing the English Channel.

Maybe Paddy but I know in one of these they talked about the same thing. Catching site of a black mass rising up from his right wing, up and overhead and then falling back, he was actually inside the trajectory of the shells, then one after another. They dropped down to get out of the barrage.

Dangit Paddy, you're going to make me go back and listen to all of them to see which one it was!
:pilot

Either Above the Trenches, No Parachute or Winged Victory.

During WW1 the spotting aircraft operated near the apex altitude of the shells and routinely reported seeing them as they reached their peak and slowed down, being buffeted by passing artillery and some instances of aircraft being hit, some by the shells from the battery they were supporting.

There were several reports by pilots of seeing naval 15" rounds in the air while supporting the D-Day landings and Normandy campaign, WCdr Johnnie Johnson was one of them. A naval spotter flying a Seafire flew thru the slipstream of a 15" round and was spun out of control, recovering just before impact. As in WW1, there were instances of spotters being hit by artillery.

There is this photo of a CARIBOU hit by a friendly 155mm shell while on approach to land at Ha Thanh Special Forces Camp.

Cheers,
RichB

Thanks Rich but I'm still going back to listen to them all. I think V.M Yates in Winged Victory who talks about the freedom and pleasure of flying an open cockpit aircraft around and through clouds, very poetic.

During WW1 the spotting aircraft operated near the apex altitude of the shells and routinely reported seeing them as they reached their peak and slowed down, being buffeted by passing artillery and some instances of aircraft being hit, some by the shells from the battery they were supporting.

There were several reports by pilots of seeing naval 15" rounds in the air while supporting the D-Day landings and Normandy campaign, WCdr Johnnie Johnson was one of them. A naval spotter flying a Seafire flew thru the slipstream of a 15" round and was spun out of control, recovering just before impact. As in WW1, there were instances of spotters being hit by artillery.

There is this photo of a CARIBOU hit by a friendly 155mm shell while on approach to land at Ha Thanh Special Forces Camp.

Cheers,
RichB
I have that photo in one of my books. At Cu Chi, one of our Huey's was hit by an out going round. It came up through the floor out the roof and missed the main rotor blades. Gary S.

I dont say for one minute you are not spot on Bob, i was just saying it was seen in WWII as well .

Incidentally if you get the chance do read the big Show by Pierre Clostermann as its one of the best books i ever read

Actually the Foo Fighters of WW2 were unidentified glowing orbs that buzzzed both allied and Axis aircraft at night and during the day. They would follow aircraft along their route, maintining the same altitude for long periods, circle aicraft and even buzz the motors, ejecting something that would disable the aircraft engines causing the bombers to drop, then crews would have the engines restart themselves once they were clear. The Allies thought they were a German secret weapon until the after the war the Germans confirmed it wasn't them and that German pilots were experiencing the same thing. :geek::alien:

Last edited:
Actually the Foo Fighters of WW2 were unidentified glowing ballas that buzzzed both allied and Axis aircraft at night and during the day. They would follow aircraft along their route maintining the same altitude for long periods, circle aicraft and even buzz the motors ejecting something that would disable the aircraft engines and causing the bombers to drop then crews would have the engines restart themselves once they had dropped some distance. The Allise thought they were a German secret weapon until the afterthe war the Germans confirmed it wasn't them and that German pilots werer experiencing the same thing. :geek::alien:
Didn't they figure out it was ball lightening? Or was it swamp gas?? :rotf

Didn't they figure out it was ball lightening? Or was it swamp gas?? :rotf
Just ask Dr.J Allen Hynek, he came up with that in the late 60's then admitted he was pressured to come-up with anything but what he thought it was.....he later became an active advocate and researcher on the UFO/UAP subject..

very poetic.

Does this mean it's time for the "puffy shirt"? :bigrin:

puffy.jpg

Cheers,
RichB

Back